Thursday, March 15, 2007

Talking about abuse and suicide

Printed in Wawatay News (March 8, 2007)

In recent weeks I've come to write a few articles dealing with tough issues such as sexual abuse and suicide.

As a reporter, these were some of the hardest articles I’ve had to write. The severity of something such as sexual abuse is disturbing and it took a toll on me.

At one point during my writing I had to stop and call someone just to talk about something different, anything to get my mind off the subject, even if for a moment.

It affected me because of some statistics that were related to me in an interview.

I was told eight out of ten females under 18 years of age have experienced sexual abuse or sexual assault in the Nishnawbe Aski Nation (NAN) territory. For males, the numbers are six out of ten under 14 years of age.

When I heard these stats, I was floored. I couldn't comprehend it. I asked myself ‘How could so many young people come face to face with such trauma?’ It's disheartening and deeply disturbing.

But I approached my writing on the fact it is possible to overcome such drastic circumstances. I aimed to paint a picture of hope.

In my mind, talking about the problem leads to healing. I've heard it time and time again from Elders, counselors, healers, and so on.

Bringing these issues out in the open will hopefully bring victims to a path of healing. I don't know if I've helped in anyway by writing about these topics and by sharing stories of those who found healing and hope.

Only you, the reader, can determine if my words have done any good.

But a reality we are faced with in the NAN territory is that issues such as sexual abuse and suicide are rarely talked about in the communities. Sure, we have come a long way from not discussing these topics. But there are people who believe talking about such subject matter only creates more of the problem.

But let me be clear. I’m not casting blame or judgment.

It’s tough for any community to openly discuss these issues.

Personally, I’ve also grappled with whether or not talking about abuse or suicide truly helps. I’ve wondered if we only create more suicide and more abuse.

However I've come to believe that if we are cautious in how we talk about these issues, we can overcome them.

We have to talk about it in a way that lets the youth know there is hope, there is a chance to heal, and there is a better future.

The language we use is important.

For instance, the word ‘epidemic’.

Perhaps we are all a little guilty of using this word to describe the extremely high suicide rates in some of the remote communities. I know I am, especially as a reporter. But the fact is high suicide rates are only in some communities, not all.

To classify the entire region as having an epidemic is inaccurate and unfair. It’s especially unfair to communities where suicide rarely or never occurs. It may be an epidemic in one community, but not in another.

So, when we keep using this word, perhaps we are telling all youth across the region there is no hope and they are stuck to a dark path of self destruction.

So we must be cautious of the words we use. Perhaps even I should be as well.

But ultimately, I believe not talking about sexual abuse leads to more suicide and more violence.

Not dealing with the problem results in unresolved grief and anger that manifests itself into a deadly situation.

In an interview on the topic of sexual abuse I was told we are facing a trend of suicide among the youth. It results from trauma so many youth have had to face. However, the person I interviewed was fearful a new trend will occur in First Nation communities. He feared a trend of homicide.

Perhaps so.

It seems First Nations are facing increased violence and we continue to see vicious cycles of abuse, alcoholism, and denial.

Is this what we really want? Do we want our youth to continue to grow up knowing only destruction and despair?

Only you, the reader, can answer those questions.

Only you can become the change you want to see in your family and community.

No comments: